[Gnumed-devel] newest apt preferences and apt-cache policy results (suit

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] newest apt preferences and apt-cache policy results (suitable for lenny)
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 15:30:40 -0800

What I did was:

re-ran apt-get while specifying -t testing install gnumed-client (and aborting) delete my apt.config file (apparently unneeded if you have a preferences file)
        re-ran apt-cache policy gnumed-client

and maybe after adding sources (for testing and unstable) to sources.list I should have run
        apt-get check

to more quickly update everything. Anyway, I am now happy that when I now run
        apt-cache policy gnumed-client

I get

gnumed-client:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 0.3.10-1
  Package pin: 0.3.10-1
  Version table:
     0.3.10-1 601
        200 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/main Packages
        100 http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable/main Packages
     0.2.8.10-1 601
        500 http://ftp3.nrc.ca lenny/main Packages

Funnily despite that I had pinned lenny at Pin-Priority: 501 it does not seem to show up this way, perhaps APT somehow reduces it to 500 because it needs something to be at 500 and I made all other * releases to be <500.

 apt-cache policy now gives:

debian:/home/jbusser# apt-cache policy
Package files:
 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     release a=now
 500 http://volatile.debian.org lenny/volatile/main Packages
     release o=volatile.debian.org,a=stable,l=debian-volatile,c=main
     origin volatile.debian.org
  50 http://ftp.de.debian.org experimental/main Packages
     release o=Debian,a=experimental,l=Debian,c=main
     origin ftp.de.debian.org
 100 http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable/main Packages
     release o=Debian,a=unstable,l=Debian,c=main
     origin ftp.de.debian.org
 200 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/main Packages
     release o=Debian,a=testing,l=Debian,c=main
     origin ftp.de.debian.org
 500 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Packages
     release v=5.0,o=Debian,a=stable,l=Debian-Security,c=main
     origin security.debian.org
 500 http://ftp3.nrc.ca lenny/main Packages
     release v=5.0,o=Debian,a=stable,l=Debian,c=main
     origin ftp3.nrc.ca
Pinned packages:
     gnumed-client -> 0.3.10-1

My current preferences file is attached if anyone would find it helpful (0.4 kb)