[Gnumed-devel] Unstable vs testing

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Unstable vs testing
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 21:12:05 -0800

On 16-Aug-06, at 1:45 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:
Debian packages are available and will be move to Debian testing
in about 10 days provided that all prerequisites stay in testing
for this time and the package will not gather an RC bug.  Feel
free to install the packages under a testing system from the
unstable distribution tree.  It works also for current testing
but will not simply work for stable.

Since gnumed has many dependencies, is it better to *not* be installing gnumed-client and all of its dependencies from unstable? I am just wondering if that risks breaking people's machines if they would depend on them as can happen in a busy medical office.

If the package usually moves from unstable into testing within about 10 days then I wonder whether the needs of people who would depend on gnumed for real use, and even for people who would be curious about gnumed, will ---except for developers and *some* beta-testers --- be entirely well handled through testing.

It seems like we are normally testing release candidates via tarballs. This makes we wonder whether, after a gnumed-client package is built and is moved into unstable, do we ever get RC bugs filed against the gnumed package in unstable? I know it is possible, but that might require someone to notify the package maintainer of a problem with the package within this roughly ten day window, and I am just not sure if we have had that experience yet.

Is there any knowledge whether any of gnumed's prerequisites got removed from testing and made a problem to install gnumed from testing?