Re: [Gnumed-devel] Unstable vs testing

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Unstable vs testing
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 13:21:33 +0100

> Since gnumed has many dependencies, is it better to *not* be
> installing gnumed-client and all of its dependencies from unstable?
When you run testing all packages from unstable are slated for
moving to testing within 10 days anyways (barring a blocker).

> am just wondering if that risks breaking people's machines if they
> would depend on them as can happen in a busy medical office.
I would surely wait for the 10 day delay to be over. Actually
I would install from unstable on a test machine to assess the
situation.

> If the package usually moves from unstable into testing within about
> 10 days then I wonder whether the needs of people who would depend on
> gnumed for real use, and even for people who would be curious about
> gnumed, will ---except for developers and *some* beta-testers --- be
> entirely well handled through testing.
I dare say yes.

> It seems like we are normally testing release candidates via
> tarballs. This makes we wonder whether, after a gnumed-client package
> is built and is moved into unstable, do we ever get RC bugs filed
> against the gnumed package in unstable?
We do at times.

> I know it is possible, but
> that might require someone to notify the package maintainer of a
> problem with the package within this roughly ten day window, and I am
> just not sure if we have had that experience yet.
We have. And it is very easy:

   reportbug gnumed-client

works great.

> Is there any knowledge whether any of gnumed's prerequisites got
> removed from testing
Not that I know.

> and made a problem to install gnumed from testing?
No.

http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger01