Re: [Gnumed-devel] packaging for fedora (and so on)

From: Thomas Spura
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] packaging for fedora (and so on)
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 15:35:18 +0100

Hi Sebastian,

Am Sonntag, den 22.03.2009, 10:37 +0100 schrieb Sebastian Hilbert:

> > I've just read about your packaging problem in this list archives. I
> > want to get packager in fedora and support with this your project,
if no
> > one else is on it already ?
> >
> Any help is appreciated. No one else is doing any work on this so you
are
> welcome to step in.
>
> > Fedora has very strict 'guidelines', which should definetely fitt to
any
> > other rpm based linux.
>
> A few weeks ago I received a bug report from a fedora user. I changed
the spec
> file so now GNUmed client installs and runs. I have not checked for
Fedora
> specific bits apart from rpm dependencies (having a different name in
every
> distribution).
>

> > What do you think?
> >
> I think you should get an account in Novell/Suse build service. You
can then
> work on the spec file either downloading it to your computer or
building
> directly in the build service. We can work on this together.

Can you put the spec file on the wiki or send me via mail? That would be
a lot easier than signing in Novell/Suse… Or check it in cvs is also an
option…

> Right now it should be in good shape. As the next step run all the
tests
> recommenended by fedora. As the third step please consider contacting
the
> fedora packaging mailing list and file a inclusion proposal with
their
> bugzilla.

That works a bit different. I file a bug in bugzilla, and make a 'Review
Request'. After anything is accepted, I can build it in the buildsystem
and push it as update to the current releases.

> It would be nice to get GNUmed client and server into one of the next
> releases.

Will be in this one too ;-)

> As a side note. Currently there is only one spec file for all rpm
> distributions (has section for each one).
>
> If fedora will not accept that we have to seperate it again which is
> depreciated because of maintainance work.

I guess, this never happend before, but should not be allowed. If every
distribution has it own section, the other sections can be deleted and
thats it. Not that much maintaince work. Maybe a little script would
help.

Please put the spec in the cvs repo, I'll pull from there and will look
for an easy script for the splitting…

        Thomas