Re: [Gnumed-devel] splitting / rearranging multi-page PDFs

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] splitting / rearranging multi-page PDFs
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:17:16 +0200

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:42:50AM +0200, Hilbert, Sebastian wrote:

> > http://bigbrovar.wordpress.com/2009/04/17/pdf-shuffler-an-easy-way-to-merg
> >e-pdf-files-in-linux/
>
> For GNUmed this can be handy when archiving documents.
>
> Sometimes there is the issue of having information on multiple patients in
> one
> documents. For scans of paper documents this is less of an issue since you
> can
> split the content while scanning.
>
> For FAX transmissions this is not so easy. I am not aware of a tool (on
> Linux)
> that can split documents by content.
Automatically, no, of course not.

> Here is one possible workflow:
>
> 1.) Receive fax transmission and have it convert to pdf. Hylafax can do this
> or one could use tiff2pdf.
> 2.) Have it displayed in the GNUmed inbox - how does one do that ?

Either

a) make the inbox messages loading code listen to a
   directory with incron and include that in the listing

b) import new faxes into the clin.unmatched_data table and monitor
   that, too

> 2.) pdfshuffler should be 3rd-party (GNUmed) aware. much like with OpenOffice
> there should be a way to open a pdf in pdfshuffler from within GNUmed.
Hopefully startup time won't be horrendous. Also, with OOo
there's pretty much only a very few choices of tools while
with pdfshuffler there's potentially dozens. So pdfshuffler
probably better be an item of configuration rather than
hardcoded.

> Pdfshuffler needs a button 'save to GNUmed' next to 'save to file'. One would
> then feed the pdf back to GNUmed and associate it with the currently active
> patient.
IF pdfshuffler is called from within GNUmed the call can be
made such that upon pdfshuffler termination the call script
checks a target directory for new PDFs and imports those
into the database - the power of shell scripts...

> PDFshuffler actually does not need to know anything about GNUmed. It should
> simply have the feature to hand the pdf to any program.
That would be another option.

> GNUmed running in
> remote-control mode should then detect the call (made by a shell script 'gm-
> fax-importer'), raise the document archive plugin for the currently active
> patient and display the pdf as document part.
Yeah, but that's quite a bit of coding. I'd be content if
docs were imported and thereby show up as unreviewed in the
corresponding staff member's inbox.