Re: [Gnumed-devel] Better-supporting staff and other non-patient persons

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Better-supporting staff and other non-patient persons
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 23:48:04 -0700

On 12-Jun-09, at 1:57 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

There will be tables defining persons as other types of
people.

Maybe you did not mean other types, maybe you only meant

There will be tables defining persons as various (one or more) types of people.

We do already have a staff table. We do already have a dem.occupation table and maybe here could be stored a person's occupation as doctor and type of doctor (GP vs cardiologist vs respirologist) since if we slit out a separate table for doctors do we then need separate tables to identify which individuals are physiotherapists, which are nurses etc?

What would define a person as having been a patient? Would it be achieved - by inference, meaning that after (and only after) associated clinical records can be shown to exist, this must have been a patient, at some point in time? - or would it be achieved by an explicit decision on the part of the user, for example a secretary or doctor creates the person and declares "this person is now defined as a patient, so that even if we did not yet create associated clinical entries, it is only because it is a new referral and we did not yet see the patient, they have an appointment to come and see us in 2 weeks.

There is value to be able to know, in a large database of persons, which of them has been a patient, in order to assist appropriate record selection during (for example) data exports desired to consist purely of patient-type persons and similarly, when doing statistics, if you had 5,000 patients and 300 non-patients and wanted to know what percent were diabetics, you want this calculated with a denominator of 5,000 patients not 5,300 people.

Therefore I do not know whether to prompt the user to explicitly update a value that we might keep in the table dem.identity (is_patient), or whether this value would get updated automatically after the user had created data inside any of the plug-ins.

What if I wish to locate a set of cardiologists among whom I might make a
referral?
We currently do not support that.

The clinical plug-ins (EMR tree, Progress notes, EMR journal,
Documents, Attach documents, and Measurements)
should refuse to be switched-to the way they presently
refuse when "no patient is selected".  In other words, they
should require more than having a *person* in focus, they
should require to have *a person who is_a_patient* in focus.
Can you register this part as a wishlist bug on launchpad ?

Maybe first needs discussion?

... It seems a mighty good idea to me although preferable
implementation details still elude me.