[Gnumed-devel] Re: Tarballs and dependencies (was Re: gnumed-server pack

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Tarballs and dependencies (was Re: gnumed-server packages)
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 21:06:12 +0200

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 09:47:24AM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:
> Therefore, if one would have installed from deb, but then in addition
> (while waiting for newer debs) downloaded and tried running from the
> newer client, the scenarios would be

I would stay away from installing tarballs!  Really!
If you can not wait until the deb of a new version is ready you
can also try to build your own private debs.  It is actually not
that hard.  Basically four steps:

   1. Rename the tarball to gnumed-client_<version>.orig.tar.gz
      (mind the underscore before the version!) and unpack the
      tarball
   2. Copy the debian directory into the unpacked source directory.
      (you can obtain the current debian directory either by
       'apt-get source gnumed-client' or from SVN)
   3. Edit debian/changelog to reflect the new version and
      say 'debuild'
   4. Install the resulting packages.

This might even be an option to backport a new gnumed version
to a stable system if you fear the dependencies from testing.

Kind regards

     Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de