Re: [Gnumed-devel] Tarballs and dependencies (was Re: gnumed-server pack

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Tarballs and dependencies (was Re: gnumed-server packages)
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 22:42:00 +0200

> I know that it is possible to install from Debian deb packages
> (gnumed-client and gnumed-server) but that it is also possible to
> download tarballs
That is correct.

> In the case of the client, supposing the new client has a new
> dependency, the tarball does not take care of the dependency
Correct.

> unless
> it would somehow contain the other needed packages,
Right, it does not contain these. However, that's a good idea.
I'll add a "gm-install_dependancies" shell script.

BTW, if people use our network aware tarball installer
(gm-install_client_locally) they do get some dependancy
handling.

Also, installing whatever somewhat older version is available for
a given platform and then installing a tarball will take care
of most dependancies nicely.

> along with a way
> to preferentially call *these* instead of what is already installed
> on the system, but – setting aside whole VMs and the Live CDs – I am
> unaware that we do that. Have I got that right?
Absolutely correct.

> I am gathering also that apt-get update would not be able to know or
> diagnose any tarball-related dependency problems, making it unable to
> inventory or display such "broken-ness" (though Debian is not itself
> broken) to the user (?)
That is correct.

> Therefore, if one would have installed from deb, but then in addition
> (while waiting for newer debs) downloaded and tried running from the
> newer client, the scenarios would be
>
> 1) no new dependencies... new client runs without (new) dependency
> problems
> ---> is the usual case?
yes

> *or*
>
> 2) some new dependencies... users cannot simply download the new
> client and expect it to run ...
... fully operationally.

The core dependancies are pretty much in place now. It'll
probably be some optional functionality that won't work. But in
principle this is correct.

> ---> in this case, the releaser (Karsten) co-ordinates with the
> Debian Med maintainer (Andreas) and emails the devel-list that
> although a new release candidate exists, people would have to
> individually install specific package updates, from testing or
> unstable, in order to be able to use the new release candidate, until
> such time as the dependencies were able to be put into new debs?
I actively only choose dependancies which are already available
as Debian packages. This has worked OK so far. It is a design
decision: Debian is our reference platform on which we allow
users to *expect* that things work as advertised.

> Is this correct? Same with gnumed-server?
Full Ack.