Re: [Gnumed-devel] Notes editor 0.4.6-1 feedback and suggestions

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Notes editor 0.4.6-1 feedback and suggestions
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 22:42:11 +0200

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 12:49:19AM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> I continue to be impressed with this new notes editor
:-)

> which features a three-way split:

4-way but the lower right corner isn't used much yet

> 1) At top right, can we change "New notes ..." to "New notelets ..."
>
> I know that "Notelets" is not a standard word, but Notelets will help to
> get across that the encounter will have more than one note "part".

Done.

> 2) "Request" ... is somewhat ambiguous as, in english unfortunately, we
> have the problem when the same word is sometimes a noun:
>       request as "purpose of encounter" (noun) -- which is what we intend vs.
>       request as "(now) ask for something" (verb)

Ah, I see. In German it'd be a bit clearer because nouns
would be spelled uppercase as opposed to verbs.

> I very much think "Purpose" would be better but, if it is desirable that
> this not be just one arbitrary GNUmedder opinion shall I ask a few doctor
> colleagues their views?
Sure, great !  Show them a screenshot, perhaps ?

> 3) when one opens this plugin, by default there is open an editor named
> "new episode" however it would be better to say "new problem". The reason
> I would avoid "new episode" is because – in the case of existing active
> problems –  the user would be better to double-click on one of these
> visible active problems. Otherwise, it should be a new problem (even
> while, admittedly, a new episode) and it can always be attached to one of
> the patient's Health Issues (which may be relevant but not active
> therefore omitted from the list of Active Problems) at any later time.
Aha, only when reading the whole paragraph carefully did I
get the subtle catch. Done.

> Can we change (in the upper left corner "Active problems") the column
> label
>       "Problem" into  "Episode"

Not with a clear conscience. This column lists problems, not
episodes.

> Can we change the prompt
>       "Enter a descriptive name for the new episode:" to
>       "Enter a short working name for the episode:"

Done.

> Can we change the text inside the title of the "Save" window from
>       "Adding a new episode" to
>       "Saving episode information"

Exactly which dialog do you mean ? If you are talking about
the one with "Enter a short working name ..." inside it then
that's actually what it does: add a new episode.

> Can we swap the positions of the three-button sets (left vs right)
>       Save: All Encounter Notes
>       Editor: New Clear Discard
> so that the "Save" ones are to the right?

Let's ask Rogerio as a user.

> Can we change "Editor;" to "Notelet:"

Done.

> Does save "All" mean Encounter + all notelets?

That's right.

> Is the Encounter button non-responsive while the "Summary" text is empty?

No, it also acts on Request (RFE), start, end, and type.

> Lastly, over in the EMR tree, instead of listing at left
>       <date of encounter>: <text of AOE>
> what about instead listing
>       <date of encounter>: <encounter type>

Rogerio ?

> given that the left pane tidily accommodates the encounter type whereas
> the AOE can only be partly shown, and also can be confusing to the brain
> to see the same text replicated multiple times in the left pane. To me,
> the value of the AOE is on the right side of the EMR tree when one is
> looking inside the detail of any Notelet to be reminded what else was
> managed in the same encounter.

However, that'll make a list of encounters down the left:

1.1.2003:  in praxis
2.1.2003:  in praxis
4.1.2003:  in praxis
6.1.2003:  home visit
9.1.2003:  in praxis
16.1.2003: in praxis

which is less informative when quickly scanning down the
list than if the AOE is shown, no ? Otherwise one would have
to click each and every encounter to find a particular one
(despite the fact that the encounter tooltip holds all the
encounter details anyway ;-)

The logic is:

AOE if exists
        else RFE if exists