Re: [Gnumed-devel] Plug-in management in 0.4.6

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Plug-in management in 0.4.6
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 16:01:21 -0700

Do you want me to upload the following info as low-priority bug in Launchpad?

On my platform SPACE allows selecting/unselecting.

Is it possible that although we are both (?) using Debian, your XCFE and my Gnome have different selection policies? Gnome seems to want ctrl-shift...

Can the text inside the editor be changed to say:

Select the plugin(s) to be loaded the next time the client is restarted:

... I would simplify by removing "Note that he plugins currently associated with this workplace are preselected."

... I would modify the tooltip to say "A discontinuous selection may depend on your holding down a modifier key, or key combination (ctrl-shift, space etc.) while clicking."

or changing their position amongst each other.
That isn't supported yet :-(

Actually, it is, indirectly! See attached screenshot what I achieved below:

Inside the "GNUmed default" workplace,
- select only one plugin (the one you want loaded first)
- click OK which exits you to the list of workplaces
- click Edit to re-open the "GNUmed default" workplace
- hold the correct key combination (Gnome currently likes ctrl-shift) to *discontinuously* add the plugin you would like positioned second
- click OK to exit to the list of workplaces
- repeat until you have finished selecting the plugins that you want loaded, in the order that you want them loaded
- you will need to exit the GNUmed client and re-open it for the change to take effect

Edit the config file to make that workplace the one GNUmed is started with.

Not necessary when people are satisfied to use "GNUmed default" workplace, which I imagine will persist despite installation of a newer client and maybe even across database upgrades.

Alternatively gnumed.conf can be altered in
~.gnumed/gnumed.conf
or apparently (I did not test) via system-wide default such as backend profile:
/etc/gnumed/gnumed-client.conf
... one adds, into this .conf file, the lines
[workplace]
name = desiredWorkplaceName
e.g. name = minimal

I did attempt what I believed used to allow a selection from the login dialog
[workplace]
names = $names$
minimal
GNUmed Default
$names$
but the above hung the client on attempted restart

PNG image