Re: [Gnumed-devel] Post-bootstrap questions, including client feedback 0

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Post-bootstrap questions, including client feedback 0.4.6-1
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 21:18:44 +0200

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:54:54PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> 1) If a user would be unable to log into GNUmed, is there any value to
> help them to distinguish whether their Postgres server was not yet
> configured to accept gm* connections, or whether that has been done and
> instead it must be some issue with their personal account?

1) the heuristics trying to derive probable causes is likely
   to get it wrong fairly often

2) it would provide attackers with data about the authentication
   (they could verify suspected user names)

> 2) I noticed with Kirk's caveat of peniciilin allergy, the database
> (post-bootstrap and test-data-loading) displays that the allergy state
> was last confirmed on the date of import (though I did not confirm it)
> and the peniciilin allergy item was given a "date noted" date of import.

That is a circumstantial artifact of the import.

> I guess my question 2) is whether it is the fact that some test data is
> missing information that causes the database to fill in values based on
> the date-time when the test data was loaded,
Yes.

> or will the process of copying data forward into upgraded
> databases write new date-time stamps into the data?
Lo and behold, no !  That'd be a grave bug.

> 3) In the "EMR tree" plugin, right half of the split screen, can we
> incorporate the "Date Noted" into any display of the list of "Allergies
> and intolerances" as:
>    Penicillin: developed... (noted <date>)
Done.

> and also can we make more prominent the "does" when the state is "does
> have allergies"
>    ... perhaps *does* have allergies
Done.

> 6) the plugin toolstrip at the bottom of the screen functions
> differently than I might expect. Clicking on the left ( < ) or right ( >
> ) arrow does not bring unseen plugins into view... these icons instead
> shift the focus from whatever is the in-focus plugin to the one that is
> to the left or right. Therefore if I wished to access a plugin that was
> out of view it would be faster to first click to the plugin that *is* in
> view at the right or left edge. But even then, if the plugin I wanted was
> two or three away from being in view, I would be IMHO needlessly clicking
> "through" the plugins that were "in the way" and in some cases evoking
> (as with xDT) a modal file browser that I must dismiss.  Also if this
> xDT-evoked window is cancelled, the client cancels the requested shift in
> plug-ins. What alternative actions are programmable from clicking these
> "arrows"?
None. It is platform-specific and takes place below our
control. I have made the xDT viewer NOT raise the file
selector right away, though, which will help some.

> 7) how is the format of the GNUmed client display of dates controlled?
Usually by explicit formatting, in most places using "%x".
The range of options available to us is here:

        http://docs.python.org/library/time.html
        (see strftime)

%x, in turn, is governed by the platforms ability to
communicate LC_TIME to Python.

> While Canada uses day / month / year I am dissatisfied with the resulting
>   12 / 06 / 09
> and wonder despite that I would remain living in Canada I could have
>   12 / Jun / 2009 or
>   12 Jun 2009 or
>    2009-06-12?

You'd have to tell where exactly. Each and every instance of
date display can potentially be formatted any way we see fit.

> 8) when I click "Appointments" and despite that I am accessing a local
> GNUmed database (unless Korganizer is being pulled across the internet?
No.

> what is the default) this plugin requires 45 seconds to respond.
That is strange. Do you have "konsolekalendar" installed ?
Try:

        which konsolekalendar

> Part of
> this would be due to running in debuggin mode and part from the fact I am
> running in a VM but is still slow. Now I am realizing (when I click the
> KOrganizer button) that KOrganizer is not installed, which may be part of
> the delay, also however maybe the label atop the appointments list should
> not say "Today's KOrganizer appointments ... ".
Well, we hope to eventually configurably access other
schedulers.

> I am wondering the
> difference between clicking the "Appointment" plugin tab versus clicking
> (after that tab has loaded) inside this plugin on the button KOrganizer.
It *re*loads the appointments from KOrganizer.

> 9) In the inbox, the text "Welcome..." is positioned nearly 2cm to the
> right of the text of the line that is below it. Can the "Welcome" text be
> shfted left to be put vertically inline with "Below..." ?

Done.