[Gnumed-devel] Peculiar performance lags when raising and switching amon

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Peculiar performance lags when raising and switching among notelet tabs
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 00:24:05 -0700

I suspect that the limitations of virtual machines and disk RAM in running my combination Debian server and client is a help to identify the slower among GNUmed's task performances.

Above my kitchen table, I have a clock which loudly "ticks" its seconds, which also helps :-)

I noted, upon selecting the Notes plugin with Kirk active, that it opens, fully formed, in less than a second, including the Active Probelms at left, and the default "new problem (episode)" notelet editor complete with empty soap fields waiting for input.

But when I double-click a problem to raise a second notelet editor, the lag is painful... 21 seconds. But when double-click an additional problem, to raise a third notelet, and another, to raise a fourth notelet, each of *these* additional notelets takes less than a tenth of a second. But that is not the weird part.

The weird part is that if I click among any of the tabs belonging to notelets #1 or #3 or #4, the switch is near-instantaneous, but if I click on #2, there is again a delay of 21 seconds before it comes to the foreground.

Once #2 is in the foreground, I can switch to #1 or 3 or 4 instantaneously. But when I next click back onto #2, again the 21 seconds.

When I discard #2, what had been the original #3 notelet becomes #2 and takes on the same behaviour. In other words, I can near instantly switch, among the remaining 3 notelets, between #1 and #3, however if I would click what has now become the #2, again the 21 second delay.

??