Re: [Gnumed-devel] Notes plugin - signaling and linkage among screen spl

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Notes plugin - signaling and linkage among screen splits (plus a "todo" kluge)
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:06:02 +0200

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 07:49:22PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> Just wondering what extent and capacity for signaling exists between the
> left and right halves, and the upper and lower portions, of the Notes
> plugin split screen.

Any we want.

> I notice that when an active problem is single-clicked, no refresh
> occurs in the "Most Recent Related Notes". So, to raise the information,
> needs a double-click, which obliges raising an extra notelet editor, if
> one was not already raised for this problem.

That's right.

> In order to brain-parse the record for such things, current options (and
> limitations) are to
>
> 1) stay within the Notes plugin, double-click each problem, view its
> most recent note, then Discard each raised notelet editor if it is not
> needed. This is busy-work, and may cost additional time at any lag in
> raising and discarding the notelet editors.

I agree.

> 2) jump from the Notes plugin to the EMR tree, set it open to the
> episode level, and down-arrow through the episodes.

This is, at the current level of functionality of the
client, the recommended way.

> Is it too resource-intensive for a simple selection (single click) on
> any Active Problem to raise into the lower left this problem's most
> recent note text?

No.

> The left and right splits are not chained together. As a consequence,
> movement among notelet editors has no effect on what is shown at left.

Indeed. That's a bug. It was intended to switch with the tab
on the right.

This is our chance to do it right :-)

It now works like this:

- when a problem is single clicked, the notes are shown below
- when a problem is double clicked, a notelet editor is
  opened additionally

> Can we alter the left side "Most Recent Related Notes" descriptor to
>       "Most recent notes on above problem" or

Done.

> Can we also rectify some "case" mismatch that crept among the 4 split
> areas? For consistency, I might suggest
>
>       Active Problems --> Active problems
>       Tips and Hints --> Tips and hints

Done.

> Do we anticipate that future Tips and hints will be chained to, and
> refreshed with any change in selection of, whichever notelet is in the
> foreground above?
That will depend on what sort of hints we manage to come up with.

> ==================
> Footnote ideas:
>
> 1) presently, it would be possible for users to adapt the Waitlist, by
> creating a zone "todo" and – at patient contact – to filter the Waitlist
> to the current patient. This is probably a good practice anyway, even
> after we had a future way to "mark" tasks arising, since the patient may
> be in the waitlist for other things that the staff did not manage to
> achieve, and which may better be sorted out while the patient is here.
>
> 2) even more a kluge would be to create a per-patient Unattributed
> problem "todo" and into this pseudo-problem put what needs to be done...
> it could all be handled in a single episode that is always active and
> since it would appear at the top (even in the Notes editor) it is the
> only one that would have to be double-clicked to help the clinician
> relocate any tasks they had set for a future visit.

That's scary - now you are starting to think like the
creators of GNUmed themselves who will creatively construct
any mental contraption to make GNUmed appear amenable to
most any task... :-))