Re: [Gnumed-devel] Test results imports, and encounters

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Test results imports, and encounters
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 23:44:05 +0200

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 02:21:11PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> So maybe we are now only talking whether to key results
> creation -- when originated by an importer -- to a single
> encounter per import session per patient (instead of
> re-using a generic encounter per patient across all
> imports).

Oh, OK. I would vote for one encounter per importer run. And
again, the importer could implement its own logic to decide
whether to re-use a pre-existing encounter of "its" type
within a certain time frame in order to aggregate successive
re-runs due to, say, intermittent problems.

> I had mistakenly thought encounters to require and support
> an end-time, but I see in the schema only "started" and
> "last affirmed" timestamps, nothing to require or support
> either an "ended" timestamp, nor a status of "closed".
In fact, a status field doesn't even exist. And to bolster
that notion the end_time is called last_affirmed :)

> > > ... allow test results import to be entered (stored) under a special
> > > encounter type that simply adds more and more datetime stamped
> > > administrative soap rows although maybe there is a downside to doing
> > > this?
> >
> > Sure, I wouldn't generate a new episode for each import.
> > Just use one "imported test results" or some such under
> > "unattributed".
>
> I will have us revisit & ocnfirm or clarify this as a lab importer gets
> closer to fruition :-)

+1

Results can be re-attributed to episodes as needed later on, too.