Re: [Gnumed-devel] 5.0rc2 quirks

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] 5.0rc2 quirks
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 23:39:20 -0700

On 25-Jun-09, at 3:12 PM, Rogerio Luz Coelho wrote:

First off , I loved the notelets disposition, more time is saved looking through...

Not sure I understand... do you mean that tyou enjoy to stay inside the Notes creator, whose ability to let you see recent notes (in the lower left corner) can spare you to have to switch into the EMR tree view?

But I was wondering:

When I open multiple "notelets" I can´t seem to find a TAB for them or a way to cicle through them short of closing the ones I open last. It would be nice it on the tab of multiple notelets it would be shown for wich acctive problems they belong to, and this could have say 20 caracteres and then be cut with three dots (...)

I dod not yet manage to upgrade local database v10 --> v11 however when I connected to the public database and raised some notelets they each carried the name of the problem that I double clicked. While I do not know any way to move between them from the keyboard, clicking on each tab does jump it to the foreground.

The notelets do not (in this rc version) "track" with the related problem's notes on the left part of the screen on account of a bug but I think Karsten checked in a fix which will be issued in some future version.

|Brain Damage| Venomous alien bite at ...| Passionately does not like ...| Depression|

This would make it easier to make changes for all active problems at one single visit.

When I click at the left open problem list

do you mean within the Notes editor, or do you mean the EMR tree view?

it only appears the LAST one for each problem

you must mean the Notes editor (because the EMR tree will permit all to be seen, although this may depend on the user to control-click the contextual menu to "Open EMR to..."

could there be say a tab feature UNDER the encounter view

you mean, where it says "Most Recent Related Notes"?

so we could see the OTHER episodes in this problem also? I see a problem if there are say 50 episodes for a problem (the tabs would get so small it would be quite impossible to read or click on them) so can we estimate say 3 last encounters and then a "More" tab for the next 3 in line ... and so on?

I agree it becomes a problem when we try to squeeze more into a smaller space. Also it may get very complicated when we try to put everything into one widget (plugin) when some tasks may better be divided and done in separate plugins, even though it will require us to move between plugins.

Screen space is getting scarce in GNUmed, could we built in a "FULL SCREEN" mode for any given plugin ?

If you are talking about such things as the new Substances widget (or even in the Demographics) it may be misleading that some columns are so narrow. I do believe many of them will expand as soon as sufficient data is put inside them. Did you mean something else?

I really think we should get it clear what is a RFE , a Summary and what will be displayed where in the Tree view and Journal,

Do we not have the same understanding that the RFE is the reason for the encounter (from patient and/or doctor perspective) however the original reason may change inside the visit as the patient adds something more or as the doctor remembers something more must also be looked after. This was my reasoning to loosen "Reason" in case it was considered to narrowly to be the *original* reason for example at the time that the visit was *booked* when it seems legitimate that what needs to be achieved can evolve. This was my motive to relabel slightly as "Purpose" to invite this flexibility.

expecially for the Wiki / Manual , and if we could set these two clearly apart it would be even better.

I did already update the wiki to reflect how workspace (plugin) selection now works. I am happy to do the same for Progress notes (which I have already edited) but was waiting for the screens to stabilize a little further.

I use RFE (since I do not have a plan for any time soon to alow anyone but me put their hands on my laptop ;) as the patients "main complaint for the visit"
i.e. " Shoulder pain" , "Have trouble sleeping" , "I feel lost".

To repeat, my thinking was that RFE (which I like to think of as Purpose) is helpful to have a value (when possible) before the visit begins, but also to serve additional value inside the visit (to identify what must also be done so that the doctor does not terminate too early). After the visit is completed, the RFE / Purpose can remain useful when looking back, although an Encounter tree that showed which problems were touched might additionally be helpful.

I use Sumarry for guidance in the next visit or final diagnostics
i.e. "Deficient PI (spleen) Qi" , "Depression - improvement with Venlaflaxine 75mg/d " , "Stagnant GAN (liver) Qi" , "HAS melhora com Hctz 25mg/d"  --- Please forgive the Acupuncture and Portuguese jargon ... it´s late and these are the examples I have right now ;)

Summary has maybe no perfect answer. Each problem has its own Assessment and Plan.

I already recently discussed the difficulty of a Summary when it would be applied among two or more problems that have little connection with each other.

Karsten's perspective is that the Summary (AOE) is meant to capture mainly "big picture assessment" whereas you are tempted to use it to capture plans.

So I when I scan the Tree View both these information are easily available, although the RFE is king of mixed up in the viewer at the moment (still waiting for those future /html enhacements, but no pressure ;)

:-)