[Gnumed-devel] Re: v0.5 rc2 and ? upgrading the database 10->11?

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: v0.5 rc2 and ? upgrading the database 10->11?
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:03:23 -0700

While my attempt (as root) failed, it did so for a different reason than my earlier (improper) effort to upgrade my v10 database as regular user (jbusser). The log informs me what I suspected only after-the-fact:

OperationalError: source database "gnumed_v10" is being accessed by other users

In the client, we do now have under the GNUmed menu "Announce maintenance" (to-be-renamed Announce downtime) which gives users notice although does not itself disconnect the users. Before upgrading therefore, does one need to give the postgres server instructions from the command line to stop running and/or otherwise sever the connections, thus kicking off any users who would have ignored the notice?

Can we maybe insert into the upgrade script, between the two ECHO paragraphs, a new (middle) one below? Also in the original paragraph "The existing database" can we say "will be" (not "is")?

This will update an existing GNUmed version 10
database to the version 11 schema. It does not do
any harm to the data contained within.

It must be run as root or via sudo (or postgres??)
and the database must not be in use by other users.
Suggest, from an instance of the client, to use the
"GNUmed > Announce downtime" menu command,
then also quitting your own instance of the client.

The existing database is cloned first. The copy is
then modified. The original database remains unchanged.
Do you really want to install this database setup ?