Re: Client menu suggestions was Re: [Gnumed-devel] Release 0.5.rc2

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: Client menu suggestions was Re: [Gnumed-devel] Release 0.5.rc2
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 23:40:52 +0200

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 01:49:08PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> 1) Office is not often accessed to "Manage master data". May we give
> higher priority to usage by clinicians and shift this menu to the right,
> after Knowledge and before Help?

Done.

> 3) Under the EMR menu:
>
> Show Summary provides no information different than what is shown within
> the EMR tree, on the right text area, when the EMR "root handle" is
> itself selected. Especially since the EMR tree text is selectable
> (whereas what is in the Show Summary dialog box is not) it appears to me
> we would not lose anything by dispensing with (removing) the Show Summary
> menu item. Is there some reason why we should still keep it?

Done.

> I am thinking EMR > Export may be a less common function... can it be
> moved to the bottom of the menu beneath a ------ separator?

Done. However, the very bottom is dynamic - some plugins add
themselves there.

> and can we pull
>       Show as > tree view
>       Show as > chronological view
> out of the submenu to fit them into the main level of the EMR menu

If we do that we can only add them at the end because those
two items are added dynamically when (and if) the
corresponding plugins are loaded.

> and relocate the creation items into an Add/Edit menu as below:
>
> Add / edit - Alt A
>       Allergies - Alt A
>       Hospital stays - Alt H
>       Measurements - Alt M (was "Observations > Add Measurement(s)")
>       Notes - Alt N
>       Occupation - Alt O
>       Past history health issue - Alt P
>       Substance (medication) list - Alt S
>       …Start new encounter - Alt S

The rationale over the current layout being ?

>       (are we allowed a leading ellipsis, as suggested for …Start new
> encounter?)

Technically, yes. What would it mean ?

> Search EMR text (renamed from Search)
> View encounter list - Alt E

Renamed.

> View journal - Alt J
> View measurements - Alt M
> View substances - Alt S
> View tree - Alt T

Neither of those are garantueed to be there.

> ... also, can we remove the menu item "Progress notes editor" or else
> call it "Old progress notes editor"? Do we even know if anyone uses it?

Sure, it's been the main editor for at least 3 users that I
personally know of.

> It may be allowed to still be a plugin without needing to be a menu item?

Done.