[Gnumed-devel] GNUmed screen standardization proposal

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed screen standardization proposal
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 21:40:39 -0700

I recently made a suggestion that was either overlooked, or maybe having to be thought about, on standardizing any of the windows that GNUmed would open. Plugins already fully utilize whatever space has been given to the client (by the user), so I am talking more about the various non-plugin windows which would ideally be larger and better-positioned.

In the case of confirmatory dialogs, it may be sensible to open at the centre of the screen and they only need to be large enough to support the string and buttons. But even so, it may be good to avoid 10 different sizes of dialog boxes and maybe decide on small and medium, or small and medium and large. I would prefer some consistency of size and appearance, even if some sizes had a bit of empty space in the bottoms.

The other kinds of windows that are evoked are data viewing / entry / editing widgets. I think these would be really good to present to the user in a consistent way. If we take as an example the list of encounters (see screenshot "default")

1) It presently opens to a width of only maybe 500 pixels. The top partly obscures some of the patient name spelling, age and caveat and while these are still readable it is distracting. If it is deliberately distracting to make obvious to the user it is modal, the screen might better be moved down to cover the plugin tabs to remove the temptation to click them.

2) It is too narrow to show enough information to decide which encounter to select, at least in some cases.

Now compare screenshot "optimized"...

I would suggest that:

- no confirmatory dialog or data viewing / entry / editing screen by default obscure any of what I like to call the "patient banner", meaning the "band" that includes the photo and everything to the right of it

- confirmatory dialog screens be considered to follow the other suggestions above

- data viewing / entry / editing screens (as per screenshot):
- - begin tidily just below the photo
- - use the full width that is being used by the client
- - extend downward, in the case of "modal" screens, to cover the plugin tabs, or if non-modal to allow the tabs to remain clickable

It appears to me that the client can "remember", between sessions (maybe not in the case of forced quits) the size that it was last given by the user. If I zoom it to full screen size, and exit, my next launch opens the client to full screen. If I resize the client to any other size, then it will open next time at that size, although it seems to be set to always open the client centred on the screen. I tested this by repositioning a less-than-full screen-size client to various edges of the screen before exiting, and each time the client re-opens centred.

Is wxWidgets able to know the current display resolution, the current client size (it seems it must have some ability at this) and the ability to open new windows relative to a window that is already open?

Thus far there are perhaps only a dozen data display / entry / viewing screens which I would offer as higher-value to improve. I am less pressed to ask retooling of existing confirmatory dialogs but maybe any new ones could be deployed under the given suggestions, and older ones retooled only if they (or nearby code) was being tweaked for other reasons or when someone would down the road do minor little cleanups?

The original pngs of the screenshots together were > 200K and rejected by the list, accordingly reduced-quality PDFs which I hope still make the examples clear: