Re: [Gnumed-devel] Python 3.0

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Python 3.0
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 02:51:52 +0200

> Some very good changes are up from Pyhton 3.x ...
particularly better unicode support

> notably we can stop using
> the "floating point" 3.0 for divisions

For anything of clinical relevance we use decimal, not float, because
float can have rather surprising semantics and by Murphy's law
surprises happen when the patient's life is on the line. We can't
afford that. That's also why we (I) trust PostgreSQL.

> But if you want a good way to learn basic Python I recomend the Think
> Python book wich is free.
>
> http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/

I agree. That's a good book to start with. Also the Python Tutorial
itself isn't bad at all.