Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed (PostgreSQL) on USB thumbdrive benchmark

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed (PostgreSQL) on USB thumbdrive benchmark
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 10:55:33 +0200

Am Freitag 26 Juni 2009 16:14:47 schrieb Sebastian Hilbert:
> The idea of running PostgreSQL off a removable drive such as USB thumbdrive
> or flash drive is appealing. However performance can sluggish. Who is to
> blame ? Is it PostgreSQL that is too slow or poorly configured ? Is it
> GNUmed that stresses the database too much ? Or is it the storage media
> that slows things down ?

I wonder how PostgreSQL / GNUmed performs off this device
http://www.dooyoo.de/zum_shop/1435211-1-1-36748-124378949/

According to a quick google check this still that the flash wear down problem
but to a lesser degree.

The fastest solution seem to be drives where you put SDRAM-bars into a case
and basically have a RAM-Drive. The only problem seems to be that those drives
will loose all their data when the battery runs out :-)

I guess it could be usable for a house call visit session powering the drive
via USB but it's still scary.

Sebastian