Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurements selection, formatting, behaviour

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurements selection, formatting, behaviour
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 21:30:46 +0200

On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 12:18:46PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> If we consider the implications for the GNUmed project on Linux...
>
> ... as far as any users who already use some particular Linux distro,
> while it may be possible for them to run GNUmed as it was intended to
> run *on* their distro, we should at least identify (in)compatible
> desktops / themes?

Yes.

> So far it sounds like no identified limitations on
> KDE and XCFE (I did BTW also install xfce4-goodies) whereas Gnome has
> issues...

Which strikes me as extremely odd since even under KDE
GNUmed uses wxPython which in turn uses wxWidgets which uses
wxGTK (rather than Qt) !  And then the themeing engine even
is a glue-type thing allowing use of Gnome themes on KDE ...

If anything I'd expect issues on *that* rather than on Gnome
proper ...

> When people were already using Linux with (what turns out to be) a
> GNUmed incompatible theme, they may be faced to give up some
> functionality or well-liked goodie from that desktop / theme, in order to
> be able to use GNUmed properly (fully)?

I'm sure there's themes that work just fine.