Re: [Gnumed-devel] Monitor resolutions/sizes, also showing measurement t

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Monitor resolutions/sizes, also showing measurement types
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 12:46:03 -0700

"keyword-triggered data entry"

Added to the roadmap under future (do you imagine 0.7?)

8) what is the best way to handle a mixed situation where patients'

heights and weights are sometimes captured in Imperial/US units (pounds,

inches) and other times in SI (m or cm, kilos)?

I am not sure I understand on what grounds this question arises ?

In medical offices we sometimes (in North America) get devices calibrated in pounds and/or kilos, and measuring arms in cm and.or inches.

Visitors sometimes offer their heights and weights in non-local units and although the entry of such values is not really a verified "Objective" observation, we sometimes in adult medicine failed to capture those for example when the nuclear medicine department should need some crude value to know what size of patient they will be dealing with.

So we have a use case (despite a not very clean one) for

- inputting values for the same parameter in two different units

- inputting measurements with two different certainties (patient-reported and in-praxis-measured)

- comparing values in different units

Here is some of what I searched/ pasted from LOINC for possible interest, it shows that weight is often given independent LOINC codes for when it forms part of certain other lab tests! The main cluster of vital signs related codes seems to be toward the end of what I snipped: