Re: [Gnumed-devel] Monitor resolutions/sizes, also showing measurement t

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Monitor resolutions/sizes, also showing measurement types
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 23:02:02 +0200

> So we have a use case (despite a not very clean one) for
>
> - inputting values for the same parameter in two different units

No problem for GNUmed, just do it.

> - inputting measurements with two different certainties (patient-
> reported and in-praxis-measured)

If one wants to differentiate those - use two different test types.

They can be re-aggregated for display - that's the whole point of our
meta test types. However, we presently do not yet in the frontend
support *defining* meta test types properly.

> - comparing values in different units

Since each result can carry its own unit and test types can carry
a "baseline" unit conversion is possible (albeit not currently directly
supported by the frontend).

> Here is some of what I searched/ pasted from LOINC for possible
> interest, it shows that weight is often given independent LOINC codes
> for when it forms part of certain other lab tests!

LOINC is strange in some ways, I know. However, LOINC is one of the
better coding systems -- they provide free-of-charge data files
suitable for import (which we already support).