Workplaces and Languages was Re: [Gnumed-devel] Release 0.5.rc3

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Workplaces and Languages was Re: [Gnumed-devel] Release 0.5.rc3
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 12:54:18 -0700

On 8-Jul-09, at 3:27 AM, Karsten Hilbert replied (at gnumed-bugs):

Lastly (for my info)  are client parameter changes saved at the machine

logged-in (system) user level, or at the level of the copy of

gnumed-client that is being run (thus changes at the apt-get installed

level would not affect gnumed-client from cvs?

Neither. They are saved at the

GNUmed-user-at-GNUmed-workplace level.

I am still having trouble with how and where "workplace level" works apart from as below...

I appreciate that a workplace (a selection of plugins and their sequence) is able to be set at
- explicitly-called .conf file, failing which
- system user ~/.gnumed/gnumed.conf, failing which
- ./gnumed.conf (the directory from which gnumed is invoked), failing which
- the machine OS level  /etc/gnumed/gnumed-client.conf, failing which

and, if not declared in one of the above, the selection of workplace will be as last saved in the database (default = "GNUmed default")

Where is the "saving at the GNUmed-user-at-GNUmed-workplace level" done?

Also:

- when I did not yet set my local db "currently selected language", then when log in, I am warned that the currently-selected language (none) did not match my system language (en_DK), did I wish to set it as en_DK? and I clicked "Set".

-  querying the local database (Reports plugin, run: select * from i18n_curr_lang), I saw only a single record
db_user = gm-dbo  lang = en_DK
and as this was the only record, I imagine this is "currently selected"

- then I went to Preferences >  Database > Language and selected "en_ES" and when I re-ran the query I saw
db_user = gm-dbo  lang = en_DK
db_user = any-doc  lang = en_ES

therefore Preferences > Database > Language appears to set a language for the individual GNUmed account any-doc

When I next login I am advised: "The currently selected database language ('es_ES') does not match the current system language (en_DK). Do I want to set the database language to en_DK?

What is the "system language" here supposed to mean? I must point out that when I click "yes", since I seem to be responding to the "es_ES", I was figuring the query would next return
db_user = gm-dbo  lang = en_DK
db_user = any-doc  lang = en_ES --> en_DK

but it does not... I only get what was *already* en_DK
db_user = gm-dbo  lang = en_DK
... where did any-doc go?

then, when I again restart the client, I am told: "The currently selected database language ('None') does not match the current system language (en_DK). Do I want to set the database language to en_DK?

... if I click "Set" I get
db_user = gm-dbo  lang = en_DK

... if I click "Don't set", I get the same
db_user = gm-dbo  lang = en_DK

So my questions are:

1) did the last prompt actually mean that it was *any-doc* (the current user) which had no language setting, given that (despite being told that there the database language was "None", it seems it was actually "en_DK"?
--> Or does it mean that despite there existing db_user=gm-dbo when I exited the client, this value got purged, accounting for the "None", but that there is a failure of the "Don't set" button to obey the intent of the click, and instead performs the same action as "Set"?

2) is there a failure of any-doc to remain stored, or is it intended that any-doc be dropped?

3) for the database, the original (basal) language will always be english unless and until much would be rewritten. Therefore instead of declaring a "database language" can we understand ourselves to be offering users to declare (instead of database) the
customary local language
and, in place of "system", whatever we wish less ambiguously (mis)understood by "system"