[Gnumed-devel] Re: another xDT file format and BC Canada

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: another xDT file format and BC Canada
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 09:11:17 -0700

(Now threaded onto the list)

On 12-Jul-09, at 11:20 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

One important aspect: what is the *encoding* of [your source] file ?

They do say this:

*-- File is ASCII text - Named "MSVAEX30.TXT"

(which presumably means 7 bit ASCII)

but what about, say foreign names, addresses, etc ?

Foreign names etc are not supported. For example, I tested the following
Περαντώνη
and despite that in Windows XP Notepad pasted correctly, when I pasted this same Greek text in the billing application "Medical Manager" the text pastes thus:
?E?A?T???

So this begs a number of gnumed.conf questions :-)

1) What is the function of the variable

source = (for example) DoktorenFreud

Does the above name get substituted into some macro or shell command, or is it simply for screen output (labeling) purposes? Despite that the billing program that I am looking to use is marketed as "Medical Manager", the actual Windows exe is "MD.EXE".

2) filename = (seems sufficiently straightforward)

3) Does DOB format refer to the raw character format within the source XDT file and so – if in my source file, a DOB would be (e.g.) 19600101 – shall the DOB format be configured to be

DOB format = %Y%m%d

4) should encoding be specified to be

encoding = SQL_ASCII

5) [XDT profile generic XDT connector]

Can I name "generic XDT connector" anything that I want, for example

BC CA MSVA30 Medical Manager

and can I alter its name at any time (provided I keep consistency within a config file), or does any connector name get stored in the backend?