[Gnumed-devel] menu Person > Register new (old style)

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] menu Person > Register new (old style)
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 19:38:33 -0700

Can it be clarified why

        (old style)

is being retained? I have compared it to the newer version of "person creation" and here is all that I can see:

- old style has 15 fields
- as far as I can discern, new style has only these 3 differences:

1) Date of birth is now optional, but remains advisable (coloured orange) so the old widget offers only to the user to "not forget" to enter DOB but this seems hardly a reason as it is clearly enough available *and* emphasized and any user who truly wished to evade entering Date of birth could just use the new widget.

2) Date of birth now splits the "date" portion (year month & date in varying locale formats) from the time portion, which is now also optional. For any users who would have bothered to enter an actual datetime stamp (where the time portion was actually valid), capturing people's time of birth does now impose the additional work of one tab key press. In workflow terms however, I can see no net loss when considering that datetime stamp is 10 characters and easy to miskey, plus the fact that on reference documents the time would almost always be shown distinct from the date, anyway.

3) There is now otherwise only *one* more field, "Address" – which I suggest be renamed Search (modify) – which operates a phrasewheel to assist in the input of existing or partially-existing addresses.

So unless I am missing something, can (old style) be dropped?