[Gnumed-devel] Documents plugin

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Documents plugin
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 21:40:51 -0700

Within the Documents plugin are listed documents. Each of these it seems will ordinarily have one and at times more than one part. I will set aside for the moment GNUmed's capacity for a "partless" document in which, for example, a simple URL might be used in place of a part, to point to some external document that hopefully remains accessible.

Anyhow I noticed within the contextual right-click menu that:

1) at the level of the document, there exists an option to "Sign/Edit properties" -- including the Comment -- for the document, however the properties should include the "description(s)" calling into question why these are managed via a distinct other contextual menu option "Manage descriptions"

2) at the level of the *part* there exists the same-name menu "Sign/ Edit properties" which I think edit the properties of the *document* and not only of the part and perhaps this is offered here as a convenience however since other contextual menus apply only to the part it is ambiguous. I do like the grouping within this contextual menu of

        Print part
        Fax part
        Mail part

but note that two *other* items "Display part" and "Sign/Edit" are placed together under a *separate* grouping... I know, the answer is going to be "because Display and Sign are part of the same process" however if the signing off is at the level of the document (and not just the parts) then at the level of the *document* there should be an option

        Display parts

and within the "part" level I would move "Display" in with Print / Fax / Mail and I would make "Sign/Edit" (if it remains offered here at this level as a convenience) into

        Sign / Edit document properties

or

        Sign document / Edit properties

and then back at the document level contextual menu, I would
- relocate "Manage descriptions" under Sign/Edit until such time as descriptions are subsumed into Sign/Edit
- insert a separator below
- below the separator insert "Display parts"
- relocate (to under Print / Fax / Mail) the "Export" item (renamed "Export parts") - if the above options are meant to act on *all* parts (no user choice to select among them) then make the above menu items into "<Action> all parts"
- below this put another separator
- Delete should be "Delete document" and is maybe of sufficient importance to put it between separators of its own?
- next but the other remaining items

Is there to be more than one description per document? I am surmising one optionally created at the point of "Adding" the document and more which can be added via "Documents" plugin right-click contextual menu "Manage descriptions"?