Re: [Gnumed-devel] Mini-HOWTO to back-up and recover GNUmed

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Mini-HOWTO to back-up and recover GNUmed
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 12:04:44 -0700

On 29-Jul-09, at 10:13 AM, Rogerio Luz Coelho wrote:

So I had the missfortune to have my laptop die, since I had the backups it all goes down to installing Debian Testing all over again and doing the recovery of the back-up ... so I decided to document... (hey Jim this seems very Wiki-interesting :) )

a todo for me (late August) :-)

1) install Debian Testing (Squeeze) WITHOUT Database Server enabled (the instalation WITH this option enabled is bugged and PostgreSQL does not start any cluster at boot
** -bug = This is apparently caused by a bug in udev;There are two existing bugs tracking the problem, one is #517389 (udev), the other #533528 (debian-installer).

I added to
shall it also be reported via the GNUmed launchpad bug tracker as an externally-owned issue?

2) After instalation of base system, do a "aptitude install psotgresql gnumed-client"

Caution is needed above to know what version of the client and its dependency on X version of the server (database)

3) Alter pg_hba in "/etc/postgresql/8.3/main/" as in
 http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/ConfigurePostgreSQL#AnchorSetupDAR

*** Observe that if you only want a localhost DB this is the ONLY modification in the PostgreSQL config files you need. Other alterations i.e. to "postresql.conf" and "pg_ident.conf" are unnecessary.

yes, useful to clarify as you have done on the wiki

4) DOWNLOAD the server tarball you want to recover (if you were using the v10 server it is the v10.6 tarball, and so forth)

I will maybe point people to the release history page to match their version of server to client

The revision to the wiki page Server Installation which implies the user must download a tarball... it leaves out the option that the user could apt-get a server package, depending if the server apt prefs match (or are suitably over-ridden to match) the version of the client that users are to run.

5) Inside the tarball you go to "GNUmed-server.v10.6/server/etc/" and copy the files "gnumed-bakup.conf.example" and "gnumed-restore.conf.example" to your systems' /etc/gnumed , and then change their names so that the .example are removed, so they will lie in the folder as "gnumed-restore.conf" and "gnumed-backup.conf".

*** Now you are ready to backup and restore from the scripts provided with the tarball.

6) run "sh gm-restore_database.sh x" where x is the name of the backup file WITH the path something like: /back-up-folder/backup-gnumed_v10-GNUmed_Team-your-team-2009-07-24-19-29-18.tar.bz2.

7) Connect to the database and try out some of the patients to make sure everything is ok.

CONGRATS !! you have made it work.

Rogerio Luz Coelho.

PS: I use a script that makes all this process automated , and I include it in the following tarball, just extract all the contents it in a folder anywhere and run the fix-bk-rest.sh script, any problems let me know.

<bk-rs-gnumed.tar.bz2>