Re: [Gnumed-devel] PostgreSQL 8.4 in the new Debian Squeeze

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] PostgreSQL 8.4 in the new Debian Squeeze
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 12:19:26 +0200

> > a Debian utility pg_upgradecluster which
> > allows us to seamlessly transfer our databases to 8.4 but
> > that currently has a few minor problems
>
> Therefore it seems not an issue of client 0.5 having to support
> postgres 8.4.

That's correct.

Only if we want to start using column level permissions for solving
data *type* access control shall we require PostgreSQL 8.4.

> It seems more a question whether postgres 8.4
> (a) will not yet properly import a GNUmed database that had been
> bootstrapped under 8.3
> (b) but – provided no other bugs – *should* properly bootstrap a
> *new* GNUmed database under 8.4 and then allow a "restore" from
> backed-up production dumps

dump-restore from 8.3 -> 8.4 will work fine
bootstrapping a fresh database on 8.4 will work fine, too

What will not *completely* work is using the Debian-specific
pg_upgradecluster tool. It will forget the explicit database setting
"lc_message=C" and set it to whatever the local language setting
is. Upon startup the client then complains about that. This isn't by any means
fatal or unfixable. For one thing GNUmed can run just fine with
the other setting - we simply cannot make sure all error messages
are interpreted as specifically as possible. Also, one can simply
re-set it to the desired default. We even provide a script for that:
gm-adjust_db_settings.sh

> Maybe this was guessing something about dependencies if GNumed would
> be made to require 8.4 but client 0.5 will not require this.

That's right. GNUmed will not require 8.4 before the pg_upgradecluster
is fixed (even if a minor problem).