Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Bootstrapping for production -- user accounts

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Bootstrapping for production -- user accounts
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 23:07:40 +0200

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 11:26:52AM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> Based on the belief that, in the creation of a
> from-scratch GNUmed database, the bootstrapper always starts
> by creating v2 then -- if it is to deliver its promise of a
> clean install -- it will have to decide with each upgrade
> (v2 .. v3, v3 .. v4 ..) whether or not to include bits of
> test data that was provided with the expectation of
> showcasing incremental functionality.

That's correct.

> Surely the upgrade scripts (the ones that are used to
> upgrade production databases) do not add test data to the
> production database, do they?

The ones that are provided by the GNUmed project sure do. I
have neither any idea nor control over what package
maintainers do to the packages they create to make the
bootstrapping process more palatable to end users.

> Therefore it would seem to me that if the bootstrapper
> currently uses some method (other than the upgrades) to go
> from v2 .. v11,

It does not. It uses the upgrades.

> Maybe I came myself to exactly the current method, meaning
> that the problem of a clean database exists only at the
> first v2 phase of the bootstrapping?

It doesn't. It exists at every level of the process. Even
assuming a unified test data insertion script existed, that
would mean it'd have to be adjusted for every new release
(not just added to, also adjusted to any schema changes).

Maybe another approach is to get away from the non-descript
notion of a "clean database" and pinning down what that
really is supposed to mean. There's bound to be a bunch of
things we can rather easily delete from the database during
any particular release which will take us toward that lofty
goal step by step ?