Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: 0.5 release schedule

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: 0.5 release schedule
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 19:33:19 +0200

Am Montag 10 August 2009 15:16:08 schrieb Andreas Tille:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 09:56:05AM +0200, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > 0.3.9 was NINE bug fix releases after 0.3. Five more followed which
> > they (effectively) refused to include. Even Debian proper took those.
>
> I have no idea whether Debian packages might just work out of the
> box on Ubuntu machines - but IMHO chances are good.  If anybody
> would try it is perhaps better to remove (potentionally) outdated
> GNUmed from Ubuntu and advise Ubuntu users to just install the
> Debian package.
>
> Disclaimer: I have never run Ubuntu and I might be totally wrong
> in my arguing.

You are :-) There are working Ubuntu packages available. The problem is that
users are not willing or able to find them. There is info in the Wiki. There
is info right within GNUmed. There is info all over the net.

Some folks have not been introduced to the concept that updates are available
outside of what a distro might ship.

There no use in putting any more energy into that. Users who really want to
try GNUmed are going to find a way to ask someone (e.g. us) or find the update
repository.

Karmic will ship GNUmed 0.4.6 or 0.4.7 (depends on the debian package at that
time ) and will replace version 0.3.9 in Jaunty.

It the same on Windows. People will update to Windows 7 over Windows XP first
chance.

Take care,
Sebastian