Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed-update

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed-update
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 01:58:06 +0200

> > It could, yes. Please file a wishlist bug tagged medium-complexity.
>
> see below
>
> > The one non-trivial problem with this is how to decide what
> > criticality to deliver when ?
> >
> > Assume client 0.4.5 has a bug that really ought to be fixed ASAP.
> > Assume 0.4.6 fixes that. Now assume 0.4.7 is out, too.
> >
> > What do we tell a user running 0.4.5 ?
> > What do we tell a user running 0.4.6 ?
> >
> > For this reason a simple string ("the latest 0.4.7 fixes a critical
> > bug, upgrading strongly recommended") won't work.
> >
> > Starting from there it can get arbitrarily complex.
> >
> > One approach might be to have a list of strings, one line per
> > release, prefixed with the release. Then display that list and
> > have the user decide whether anything applies to them.
>
> Can such lines be fetched and displayed conditionally?

Surely but that's exactly where the exponential complexity starts
and the gain very quickly asymptotically approaches the epsilon
range.

> To use the
> example above, we would need more than just the release status line,
> we would need a dialog box.

We already have a dialog box.

> Important to these strings would be to
> - include mention when a database fixup would be needed

It already does - as far as major releases are concerned.

> - truncate to one line by appending [and more]
>
> The dialog could say:
>
> 0.4.x – *database fixup required* + blah blah
> 0.4.7 – fixes measurements grid, document translations [and more]
> 0.4.6 – fixes update-available message, document search
> 0.4.5 – running…
>
> (may as well compare to what is running, and signal this in the dialog)

What if I am running 0.3.11 ? There's both 0.3.12 and 0.4.7.

> I suggest also when there *are* no updates within the branch to report:
>
> 0.4.5 – running…
>
> No new updates in this branch.

That we can turn into a dialog box, agreed. For now it's been a
status message.