Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Issues with 0.5 detected when trying to package

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Issues with 0.5 detected when trying to package
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 19:02:11 +0200

> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 07:54:33PM +0200, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > > Shouldn't this be v11?
> >
> > It should but the file is only an example. It is usually helpful
> > to be able to think.
>
> Well, I'd call this a weak excuse.  The examples should work out of
> the box with recent code, right?

Not if they are intended to serve as documentation. I agree with Jim
it can be useful to place a hint "you probably need to modify this for
real use" inside the documentation. IMO it should be self-evident but
oh well.

> > >    3. Guessing from the name the script is intended to be called
> > >       only once (to install a piece of software.  IMHO the solution
> > >       of choice (even if the two items above would not be valid)
> > >       would be to move this to /usr/share/doc/examples or something
> > >       like this.
> >
> > Well, that's up to you as packager. But then you'll break one
> > functionality of GNUmed (well, not sure, can't check right now,
> > it might work as well since it may call it with the PATH, not directly).
>
> So the downloaded JAR file is actually used from the code?

No. The jar is a stroke/heart attack risk calculator and is
called from within GNUmed like any other external program.

> Than this
> makes sense.  But I'd like to have some more information about this.  Is
> there something in the GNUmed docs?

There's menu help strings and some strings in the config item but
that's it.

> What is the license of this JAR.

"free-to-use"

> Could we probably ship it as real Debian package?

you'd have to get into contact with www.arriba-hausarzt.de but I doubt
it for the time being

This definitely belongs into /usr/local/bin.

> Well, lintian will definitely ask once I would move the downloader
> to /usr/bin.  And if you convince me to really move the downloader
> to gnumed-client-de I would really need a manpage to keep lintian
> quiet.  And it is not only to make lintian happy - any executable
> should really have a documentation.  An alternative might be to
> move it to /usr/share/gnumed where it is hidden from users eyes
> who might call it by chance but could be called from gnumed code.

No problem with that. Do whatever Debian requires of you.

> > >   The other two downloaders: Please explain the sense of moving
> > >   data to /tmp rather than to /var/lib/gnumed/(tmp).  The
> > >   directory /tmp is removed after each boot process.  So what is
> > >   the sense of these data and how are the scripts used?
> >
> > They are called from within GNUmed to download updates of the LOINC
> > and ATC reference data sets. After they are downloaded they get
> > imported into the database. No problem if they are deleted at the
> > next cleaning of /tmp. In fact, we *want* that :-)
>
> So what about also moving these to /usr/share/gnumed.

Feel free to do whatever Debian requires you to do. I should think
they belong into /usr/local/bin/ or else need a man page along with
gm-install_arriba.

> They are
> obviosely not useful in the PATH of a user

A user may want to download ATC and/or LOINC data files.