Re: [Gnumed-devel] Updating the GNUmed Mac installer disk image (dmg)

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Updating the GNUmed Mac installer disk image (dmg)
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 08:29:19 -0700

Good work.

Did you try it yet ? It might even work. Check the GNUmed log.

My experimental updated 0.2.8.3 did not work, nor did trying to run from command line (from inside client directory), seems both are by default still trying to run the old python despite that the symlinks (in Mac GUI parlance "aliases") that I could identify in the package have been updated... maybe (despite them) other factors supervene.

Attached:
- from an unmodified 0.2.8.3 that *did* connect to salaam and loaded modules:
gm-mac-from-osx-0.2.8.3.log (my renaming)
- from 0.2.8.3-->0.5.rc1_mac post-drag-and-drop-replacements
(replacements include that psycopg2 is now py25-psycopg2)
Contents/Resources/gm-mac-from-osx.log
- from 0.2.8.3-->0.5.rc1_mac from client CLI
Contents/Resources/client/gm-from-cvs.log

(reminder to self to update the Mac wiki page to explain that logs will be written inside the app, therefore any user who would wish to email it would need to control-click on the app to "Show package contents" and locate Contents/Resources/gm-mac-from-osx.log)

Make sure that all dependencies match the python version. In your case that is
python 2.5 which is fine.

You could try to simply replace all the current files/directories with the new
versions.

Did that, knowing only about needing a newer psycopg2.

Once
you have a working version that copying step should be done by shell scripts.

to do

Could you post a listing of the content of the dmg.

With the .dmg mounted, its root (MacBook:/Volumes/GNUmed) shows:
Desktop DF
GNUmed_0.2.8.3.app
drop GNUmed icon here to move it to your Applications list (an alias to /Applications)
tux.jpg (this skeletal is shown as the background graphic to the opened mounted volume)

The .app cannot be edited in-placeā€¦ I first copied it into my /Applications and after making the changes as per the wiki page

the resulting directory structure and selected contents of my new prototype are:

/Applications/GNUmed_0.5.0.app/Contents/Resources/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages

Resources/
client (this is 0.5.0)

Python.framework/
Headers (an alias to 2.5/include/python2.5)
Resources (an alias to 2.5/Resources)
Python (an alias to 2.5/Python)

Versions/
2.4 (I can eventually delete)
2.5
Current (an alias to 2.5)

site-packages/
mx
psycopg2 (this is old)
psycopg2-2.0.2-py2.4.egg-info (this is old)
psycopg2-2.0.9-py2.5.egg-info
py25-psycopg2
README
wx-2.8-mac-unicode