Re: [Gnumed-devel] Please test GNUmed on Mac

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Please test GNUmed on Mac
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 12:55:55 -0700

On 28-Aug-09, at 2:55 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 05:19:18PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

        0.5/GNUmed-client-0.5.rc2.dmg

The fix is to copy libpq.5.dylib to the dmg in the folder lib. I
am currently
uploading a rc2

Please report if it works for you.

I still don't know why the lib was required by 0.5.0 when it was not
contained in the 0.2.8.3 disk image and not understanding bothers
me... -- no speculative answers to this?

At the time 0.2.8.3 came out psycopg2 may still have used
libpq.4 which may have been available whereas libpq.5 may
have not.

A short-term solution for this is now provided in the binary (Sebastian having copied it into the disk image's .app bundle) however it is worth identifying a suitable solution for proper non-binary dependency handling on the Mac.

I began working again from a fresh Leopard and (after installing mx and wxPython and psycopg2) and while libpq.5.dylib remains a deficiency I think a solution is possible by either:

1. requiring that the Mac install PostgreSQL despite that there may be no intention to run postgres on this local machine... the installation supplies
        /Library/PostgreSQL8/lib/libpq.5.dylib

2. requiring that the user installs MacPorts and, via MacPorts, py25- psycopg2 or other suitable psycopg2 (there might yet remain issues with the directory names and/or locations) however the dependently- installed
        /opt/local/lib/postgresql83/libpq.5.dylib
/opt/local/var/macports/software/postgresql83/8.3.7_0/opt/local/lib/ postgresql83/libpq.5.dylib

did allow client 0.5.0 to run from cvs (even before Sebastian contributed libpq.5.dylib into the Mac disk image)

Shall I assume that #1 might be the preferred option for me to next test?