Re: [Gnumed-devel] Please test GNUmed on Mac

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Please test GNUmed on Mac
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 22:47:24 -0700

On 24-Aug-09, at 1:16 PM, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

Hi all,

Please test GNUmed on Mac. Based on Jim's fine work here it is.

http://www.gnumed.de/downloads/client/0.5/GNUmed-client-0.5.0.dmg

Sebastian

Nice catch on the need fpr psycopg2 (on Mac) to have its pg_config line uncommented. On this issue of debugging I found a posting by people who use PostgresPlus (but the same should work for Postgres) suggesting that the need to edit the package (file = setup.cfg) can be circumvented by using the command

PATH=$PATH:/Library/PostgreSQL/8.3/bin/ sudo easy_install psycopg2

see http://blog.jonypawks.net/2008/06/20/installing-psycopg2-on-os-x/

Also, working ahead to Python 2.6 (if we would increment to this before going to Python 3.x) I found this issue and fix about braces:

http://jordanovski.com/python-26-leopard-1056-and-psycopg-2010

which I may as well share here:

If you are trying to set it up on Mac OSX (using the supplied setup.py script) you may run into an error saying

File "setup.py", line 219, in finalize_options
NameError: global name 'w' is not defined

This is a simple thing to fix: open the setup.py file coming with psycopg2 and edit the line 219 like this:

except (Warning, w):

Remove the braces

except Warning, w:

In python 2.6 (at least) putting exceptions in brackets will catch multiple exceptions in this case Warnings and ‘w’s. The author clearly meant to get the Warning instance as ‘w’. Also, do not forget to edit the setup.cfg file on line 28 and type in your pg_config path. Mine is

pg_config=/Library/PostgreSQL/8.3/bin/pg_config

and so should yours be if you used the default installer package for mac OS X. Oh, yeah, you need to install postgres before installing psycopg2.