Re: [Gnumed-devel] packaging help needed - TWAIN, XSANE, SANE

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] packaging help needed - TWAIN, XSANE, SANE
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 19:32:45 +0200

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 09:21:11AM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> >No. TWAIN is a standard interface which we access directly
> >via the documented API. Accessing, say, Image Capture would
> >amount to an equivalent to using XSane,
>
> For GNUmed to directly access the TWAIN data source implies to me
> that it is GNUmed that is providing the user with controls to
> operate the scanner

It would, yes, but TWAIN is a strange beast: It is a low
level API to a high level user interface. The vendor TWAIN
drivers have gotten very sophisticated including a GUI to
control scanning etc.

> What does a user experience when on Windows twainmodule was loaded?

A vendor-specific GUI opens which ranges from crap to
deluxe.

> Does this result in the opening-up of a standard WIndows default
> client

ROTFLOL. Standard Windows default client ?  ;-)