[Gnumed-devel] Packagin for Mac - what is the goal ?

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Packagin for Mac - what is the goal ?
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 18:03:46 +0200

We have had quite a discussion so far.

There are many ways to package the client and the server. For Windows I have
implemented three ways. For Linux we have two as well.

For the Mac we need to know. Who is the target audience? Who does the
installation ?

Let's say a Mac user want's to try GNUmed. The current dmg is just fine. It
shipt everything and doesn't break anything.

Let's say after one has tried GNUmed one want's to use it daily in production.
Then one should really go the extra mile and actually install GNUmed. This
installer (postgresql uses the non-free bitrock installer) should handle all
dependencies.

It is exactly the same situation as on Windows.

Since I currently know noone considering GNUmed for in production use on a Mac
the 'it just works dmg' is sufficient.

I am more then happy to assist in the (imho) preferred system wide
installation package once the needs arises.

one way would be to "package gnumed-client" as a macport. It would then
automagically handle all dependencies.