[Gnumed-devel] Re: distributed VCS

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: distributed VCS
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 21:42:48 +0200

On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 11:45:56AM +0200, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> Is there any benefit when using a different VCS then CVS for the average
> developer ?

There are good reasons to switch from CVS to something more modern.  SVN
is some kind of drop in replacement but considering the fact that it is
no DVCS (distributec VCS) and several projects are moving to this more
modern VCS I would not regard it as the best choice these days any more.

> Moreover is there anything with CVS that blocks potential developers and
> would
> another VCS work on GNUmed more independently ?

I do not think that CVS is a real blocker - if there would be developers
who really wanted to join the project they would probably raise their
voice about the CVS problem.

The problem with all the modern DVCSes is that there are a plenty of
them to choose from.  This inevitably leads to flamewars about the
"best" DVCS.  My preference would be git because it seems that it
becomes the most popular of all options for a reason.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de