[Gnumed-devel] Re: the benefit of setup tools

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: the benefit of setup tools
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 21:48:52 +0200

On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 11:57:40AM +0200, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> Is there any benefit to make GNUmed install via python setup.py build /
> install ?

I think I rememeber that several Debian maintainers are not really happy
about setup.py driven installs and I also had problems with ons such
project.  If it makes more work for you as upstream I do not think you
should spend a lot of time into it.

> Or do the setuptools for python of each distro know where to put the files
> for
> each distro.

I think so.

> Is setuptools on Debian aware of python-support while this
> package does not exist on openSUSE ?

I have no idea whether it makes sense to port python-support to openSUSE
nor whether somebody will actually do the work.  I think it is a quite
good thing to have in a distribution.

> What are the pros and cons ?

No real cons because in most cases you can just simply ignore setup.py
but there are no real pros IMHO and you can spend your time into more
important stuff probably.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--