[Gnumed-devel] Re: Re: GNUmed 0.5.0 ready for openSUSE and Debian

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Re: GNUmed 0.5.0 ready for openSUSE and Debian
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 10:31:08 +0200

On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 01:17:55PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:
> Does "installs" simply mean copy to a suitable place on the machine?
>
> - is this meaning of "install" therefore usefully (as with MacPorts)
> distinguished from an "activation" phase in which the administrator
> would upgrade a gnumed database, if one already exists, otherwise
> optionally do a (destructive) database install?
>
> - does the server package "install" (make available) server-side code
> (whether it is SQL alone,  and/or additional maybe python code, which is
> also needed to be running in order for clients to work properly? If so,
> is any "activation" of this additional code required, or is it enough
> that it simply "exists" in the expected location?

If you are wondering where the files are located you probably can point
any modern file browser (I use mc) on the *.deb file [1] and browse the
Debian file where the SQL files will end up after installing the package
(/var/lib/gnumed/server/sql).  The package only installs the files in
the filesystem *NOT* in the postgresql server.  My dream would be to get
a proper server completely running, but this needs some debconf
questions and has to be well thought and before I provide an automated
solution which might break something I rather leave this to the local
admin for manual work.  The steps which have to be done after installing
the package are described in /usr/share/doc/gnumed-server/README.Debian
(you should always read the file README.Debian after installing a Debian
package if you don't know what to do next).

I'm *really* happy about any suggestion to describe this issue better in
the package description.  So please do not hesitate to enhance the
description (even heavy nitpicking is perfectly welcome) to make sure
users will understand what to do to get the server up and running.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gnumed-server/gnumed-server_0v11.0-1_all.deb

--