Re: [Gnumed-devel] Naming convention (Was: Choice of programming languag

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Naming convention (Was: Choice of programming language and project management)
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 12:29:37 -0700

On 7-Sep-09, at 1:20 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:

That's a good move and I agree perfectly with Gour.  Once we are at
nitpicking: I would also prefer lower caps file and directory names.
The *project* is called GNUmed, but I personally would prefer

  gnumed-client.x.y.z.tgz now contains gnumed-client.x.y.z/
  gnumed-server.x.y.tgz now contains gnumed-server.x.y/

At least this fits my observation of several other projects much better.

Well then a few questions since I am figuring out some more Mac installation issues as to where files go. As part of the Debian install results a directory in the user home folder

        .gnumed

which contains a gnumed.conf

... I imagine was copied from the tarball /client/etc/gnumed/gnumed- client.conf.example (but please advise if that was incorrect). Questions:

1. should the hidden directory that is created in the user home be named instead .gnumed-client ?

2. should the .conf file that gets installed (written) into above hidden folder be named instead gnumed-client.conf (not gnumed.conf)

3. in the tarball /docs/ I found a second copy of gnumed- client.conf.example (same as client/etc/gnumed) making me concerned the source may keep redundant obsolete copies. Do we need the example in docs and if so should it just be a link to the other (which when installed would have to be read-enabled)

4. there exist also in the tarball files that seem optional:

        egk+kvk-demon.conf.example
        gnumed-client-init_script.sh

        ... shall we relocate within the tarball, outside client
        ... either into external-tools or (if that is not suitable)
        ... into /optional/ at the same level?
        ... also inside egk+kvk-demon.conf.example
                can
                # Copy this file to /etc/gnumed/ekg+kvk-demon.conf ...
                be changed to
                # Copy this file to /etc/gnumed-client