[Gnumed-devel] Re: Re: the benefit of setup tools

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Re: the benefit of setup tools
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 11:34:26 +0200

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 08:56:03PM +0200, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> > No real cons because in most cases you can just simply ignore setup.py
> > but there are no real pros IMHO and you can spend your time into more
> > important stuff probably.
> >
> Thank god you said that. I recently had a private discussion with someone not
> involved in GNUmed anymore who told me that it is virtually essential to
> convert to setup.py

Well, there is always a chance that I'm wrong. ;-)

I was speaking from a packagers perspective.  The packager is a
technican who does similar things as setup.py for users who want to
install a package from plain source.  You were asking whether
*distributors* would love setup.py and my answer was "probably not".
There might be chances that users who are not using packaged versions of
GNUmed might be happy about setup.py (but this was not your original
question).

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--