Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Re: Packaging (Was: Naming convention)

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Re: Packaging (Was: Naming convention)
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 20:35:59 +0200

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 01:49:43PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> > > And I'm actually not sure that your entry is correct
> > > because /etc/mime.types has
> > >
> > >   image/x-ms-bmp                                  bmp
>
> Can you find out which actual tool reported this?

I must assume it was pycommon/gmMimeMagic.py which is the
one obvious place where I now find image/x-bmp. That file
wasn't created by GNUmed, it was taken from the web. I have
corrected that apparent error.

> > I don't get what's so problematic about this.
>
> Something is wrong.  Either the tool you are using which provides the
> mime tyoe or the mime.types definition.  No application (be it GNUmed or
> something else) should be forced to fix this - it should work out of the
> box.  If a Debian maintainer sees things like this and does not try to
> investigate into the problem Debian would become a bunch of workarounds
> which we try to avoid.  It is not a problem from the GNUmed perspective -
> from Debian it is.
>
> I tried to seek
>
>     http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/
>
> for bmp and it turned out that this mime type is not officially
> specified.  So I wonder on what basis /etc/mime.typesdefined
> image/x-ms-bmp instead of just using image/x-bmp as "the tool" you was
> using.

See, and unless the world turns ideal tomorrow we'll be
better off keeping the GNUmed type to extension file around
-- it needn't be properly installed but it should at least
be available as an example under doc/gnumed/.