Re: [Gnumed-devel] Updated server packages

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Updated server packages
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:16:09 +0200

> Tha main Problem IMO is not that you oversee this line: if you are on
> the page http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/ConfigurePostgreSQL
> everything is done, you did id already. The problem is before; people
> who don't know about Gnumed/Postgresql don't know THAT you have to
> configure it, so I would mark out this as well in
> http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/ServerInstall -
>
> But I don't want to criticize that much - it's much clearer now - and if
> the installer script would maybe stop (?) at the beginning and write
> about the missing configuration line that would me enough I think.

The problem is that

a) it is not easy to know whether this line exists in the
   config file that's relevant to the PostgreSQL server you
   are running your database in

b) it is (nearly) impossible to know *for sure* whether this
   line is *really* needed in that file at all

Nevertheless, I will add some code which points out the missing
line in the common case but doesn't stop bootstrapping.