Re: Translations was Re: [Gnumed-devel] Interest in GNUmed

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: Translations was Re: [Gnumed-devel] Interest in GNUmed
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 09:22:04 -0700

On 2009-10-26, at 1:04 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

How are we maintaining sync between .po files in CVS and .po files at
Launchpad?

We aren't currently. Using launchpad for that would indeed be
worthwhile for that, however. It'd be great if someone could
investigate what the suggested procedure for keeping in sync
actually is.

incidentally, Launchpad mentions a translation resource
        http://open-tran.eu/

I am imagining Sebastian at some point did a batch upload to Launchpad? There are two methods of "importing" into Launchpad, one takes advantage of a Bazaar _trunk_ series created by Launchpad when the gnumed project would have been created there
        https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/YourProject/ImportingTemplates

The alternative is to upload templates (or an archive containing several templates) through Launchpad's web interface.

The translation (.po) files themselves can likewise be handled:

https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/YourProject/ImportingTranslations
... under the approach proposed below, we would in the above link use only the "One off" import

If we would agree that Launchpad would now become the point of reference for (frontend translation) .po files, then we could take advantage of:

1. online editing at Launchpad, for those who would do this

OR

2. offline editing of user-downloadable .po files (or partial files) for people without reliable internet connection ... however is it reasonable to ask such people to notify others on the list, so that multiple people would not be working asynchronously, but there seems anyway a way to merge asynchronous changes:
        https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/YourProject/PartialPOExport

FOLLOWED BY

Visual detection (at the Launchpad page) of any changes to the .po files can be detected visually on the Launchpad page and at any point it would be desired to refresh what is in the CVS, the Launchpad tool allows a multiple selection of .po files then emails a link to a downloadable .tgz containing these .po files (inside a /gnumed/ directory) which can be committed to CVS

There may be slicker options, Launchpad indicates it works with Bazaar to host, mirror and catalogue to branches of your project's code. It can even import git, Subversion and CVS repositories into Bazaar branches:
        https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/YourProject/Exports

PROBLEMS?

I am not sure why there are differences in the listings at
        https://translations.launchpad.net/gnumed/trunk/+translations
        https://translations.launchpad.net/gnumed/trunk/+pots/gnumed

Two import files seem to be stuck in the Import Queue, here
        https://translations.launchpad.net/gnumed/trunk/+imports
... I think the croatian one might be empty of translations but not sure what is the problem with the German one.. if one clicks the "Import" link, one is given the option to choose a file (button file picker) and to designate whether it is an
        Updated translation
- You have exported a PO file from Launchpad, worked on it off-line, and now you want to contribute your updates back.
        Imported translation
- You want to upload a more recent translation from upstream release or from a source package.