[Gnumed-devel] VCS and code hosting. was: Translations

From: Jerzy Luszawski
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] VCS and code hosting. was: Translations
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 12:08:00 +0100

> > Why don't we move the CVS to Bazaar at Launchpad?
>
> IF we move we should either go from bad-CVS to good-CVS
> (SVN) or all the way to GIT, IMO.
Yesterday I read about Bazaar and Git, and I think they both can be adopted.
See some comparison at http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrVsGit (this is from Bazaar
perspective!). From my point of view, I would prefer the Bzr simplicity over
the GIT flexibility, but that's just my 2c.
So why not choose Bzr as our DVCS and move everything to Launchpad?
We could then benefit from such things as code review and task assignment.

> > Because of different licensing imposed by Launchpad?
>
> Some licensing issues lurked on Launchpad, I seem to
> remember with regards to Blueprints and such.
Yes, I remember the start of the discussion, but I do not remember the
conclusion. Do we reject it due to licensing, or simply we did not get any
consensus?

> > What is currently Launchpad used for, what cannot be done in Savannah?
> Bug tracking. It is ages better on launchpad. It took Gour a
> good number of arguments to facilitate this switch ;-)
This is a very good point.

> > If it
> > is only the translation support, which is rather problematic - why not
> > abandon it?
> I do think the translation service is the second best thing
> to move to LP, actually.
I'm not so fond of it, after seeing the mess in the current translations. From
the Polish translation with about 40 strings, at least 10 is done wrong.
Obviously someone wanted to help, but with not enough language skills and
certainly without checking the Gnumed context where the strings appear. IMO the
translations must be reviewed and approved before committing to CVS.

To sum up, my proposal is: If we don't mind the licensing forced by Launchpad,
move everything to it.

Jerzy Luszawski