Re: [Gnumed-devel] Problems with bootstrap and recovery

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Problems with bootstrap and recovery
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 21:07:32 +0100

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 05:39:39PM -0200, Rogerio Luz Coelho wrote:

> Ok after some getting-used-to I understood how to use psql :)

That's Rogerio Braveheart as we know him !   ;-)

> step 3) type 'show lc_ctype;' (the dot-comma IS important)
> step 4) type 'show server_encoding;' (again the dot-comma IS important)

The ";" tells psql that the user considers the input string
finished and wants it executed. Otherwise it'll open a new
line (yes, one can enter multi-line SQL).

> postgres=# show lc_ctype;
>  lc_ctype
> ----------
>  pt_BR
> (1 registro)
>
> postgres=# show server_encoding;
>  server_encoding
> -----------------
>  LATIN1
> (1 registro)

:-(

That server is set to LATIN1 as the base encoding. That
truly won't work. You will want that to be either C or
preferably UTF8. If I remember correctly under Debian
Stable you may need to truly use C.

> I took the test out of the gm-bootstrap-server file, but it did not work ...

Yeah, because there's *another* (safer) check deep inside
the bootstrapper to protect people from the above situation

;-))