Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Medication viewing

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Medication viewing
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 18:01:07 -0700

On 2009-10-29, at 12:50 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

I see the value in a .last_actually_used field. Let's
document that and keep it for a future revision.

Made me think of a wrinkle surrounding "when was the medication started" (.clin_when) ...

Suppose I provide a prescription, instructing the patient as follows:

- if the current symptoms do not improve by X days
- if in future you should develop
        - symptoms of H1N1
        - an exacerbation of COPD
        - a flare-up of gout

you should being taking
        - oseltamivir x 5 days
        - doxycycline x 5 days
        - colchicine x 3 days

So maybe in this case it is important to not forget that this medication despite that it is not current "at this moment" could easily become current at any time after the visit has ended. So I am thinking that maybe in this case

- clin_when could be NULL
- duration could be a definable interval

What approach to data creation is taken in GNUmed / Postgres... in other words, when in a widget a user would click 'New", is there:

- a row created in a Postgres table that takes on default values which are then displayed to the user? - being not yet committed until after the user clicked "Save", would this so-called row be equivalent to a 'virtual" row? - is it known whether the client has the ability to receive schema default values and refresh them based on contextually-available information so that without user interaction the user could already be presented something closer to what they need? - if the client would default to offer 9as clin_when) the current datetime and the user would delete this datetime to make the field empty, would this result in the value being saved as NULL?