Re: SOLVED: [Gnumed-devel] Problems with bootstrap and recovery

From: Jerzy Luszawski
Subject: Re: SOLVED: [Gnumed-devel] Problems with bootstrap and recovery
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 05:59:46 +0100

Friday 30 October 2009 02:57:11 Rogerio Luz Coelho napisaƂ(a):
> Ok I'll recolect my steps just so it looks good on future searches.
>
> The problem occured in a fresh install of Debian Lenny's PostgreSQL-8.3
> server (postgresql-8.3 family packages)
>
> After install the Postres server automatically creates a "main" cluster
> witch inherits the LC_CTYPE of the system, the problem is that it does not
> have support for many of the locales the usual Lenny system has, as an
> example, my "pt_BR" system got Postgres to make a "LATIN1" cluster.

This is the correct diagnosis, but the cure doesn't require complete
exstirpation of postgres  :)

How I would fix it:
0) Backup your databases (all you have, not only gnumed)!
1) Stop the server using pg_ctlcluster or pg_ctl (depends on your distribution,
see man pages for details)
2) Remove the cluster: either manually delete the contents of the $PGDATA
directory or use pg_dropcluster if your distro has it.
3) recreate a cluster with desired locale using initdb --locale=...
see http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/creating-cluster.html
and http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/locale.html
4) Restart the server using pg_ctlcluster or pg_ctl
5) Restore databases to the new cluster or bootstrap gnumed database.

Warning: I'm not sure, but if you have other databases, changing the locale may
affect their restoration, read the postgres manual carefully. If you only want
to bootstrap gnumed database - no
problem.

Note: You may want to change your system LC_CTYPE anyway, to support UTF-8.

Jerzy Luszawski